What to Do When Your Attempt to Fix a Garage Door Enters Round Two
There are few things more frustrating than waking up in the morning with a kink in the neck. First of all, it hurts! With every move you make, you can feel the knot of the muscle as it sends a shooting pain into your shoulder. And second, nothing seems to get rid of it. Sometimes you have to wait until the next day for relief.
Well a garage door can feel like a major kink in the neck. If you’ve already tried to repair it once, you will feel the pain when you have to spend more time and money to go back and fix it. And the problem could be something that returns. So if you’re stuck in such a predicament, what can you do to free yourself?
A professional contractor is your answer to fix a garage door that keeps on screaming for attention. It doesn’t matter what the cause or the issue is, you should contact a contractor in order to prevent things from getting worse.
Hardheaded Door Dilemmas
Garage doors can be miserable. They can be a problem at any time of the year, and since their setup can be complex, there is always room for errors to occur. While most of these issues are mild, there are some that are more serious. And of course, there are some garage door issues that are downright risky! Here are some examples of common garage door issues:
Electronic Issues – Your world becomes more and more computerized almost every day and garage doors are no different. Unlike your parents’ garage door, your door most likely has many electronic components and this can bring along a new set of problematic baggage.
Mechanical Problems – Jammed doors, squeaks, and unexpected openings all fall under this category. Mechanical problems are the most common causes of garage door frustration.
Physical Damage – When the stormy weather or the kids get a bit too close to your garage door, things can get bent out of shape. Getting the door to open and close properly becomes a hassle when there are distortions or damage to certain parts of the door.
Searching for the cause of a garage door malfunction is often not the hard part of garage door repairs. It’s even fair to say that the repair process itself is pretty simple as well. Yet still, the number of people who make matters worse rivals the number of people who succumb to the cold and flu in the winter! However, the good news is that you can fix a garage door problem without the need to remain in a vicious cycle of failed repairs. How?
Summon the Power of Garage Door Professionals
Humility is a hard trait to maintain in a world so focused on the DIY mentality. However, garage door repairs are sometimes best left out of your own hands. It’s not to say that you lack skills, but you may lack experience and awareness of certain factors that can hamper the results of your repairs. Also, there is the factor of your health and safety, which must also be considered.
Think of it this way: You can arguably sew a deep gash on your own, but why not leave that to a doctor? After all, your doctor is a trained professional who can handle such tasks on their own, Similarly, taking this advice to heart and applying it to different situations can save you a lot of trouble down the road.
The Technician Doesn’t Bite
Don’t be afraid to consult a technician if you need to fix a garage door that is still faulty. Their training and experience gives them an advantage over you in certain areas, and you’ll appreciate this when they break the non-stop cycle of ‘breakdown and fix’.
- Troubleshoot – Like a doctor who inquires about recurring symptoms, a garage door technician searches for the root cause of your door’s unusual behaviour. Perhaps your jammed door stems from a broken cable or a bent door track. Whatever the problem, a technician uses the tools and processes necessary to discover the source.
- Identify – After some thorough examination, the technician will give you a detailed answer based on their findings. So if the technician discovers that there are spring and pulley problems, they’ll explain to you what it’s all about, the possible causes, and what is necessary to fix it.
Act – Of course, words without any action does nothing for you. As soon as the technician figures out the source of your garage door issues, they devise a plan of action. Whether it means a simple job requiring a tool box or a job requiring serious muscle and machinery, they’ll get to work right away to fix your garage!
Help the Technician Help You
It’s important that you do your part as well. But what does that entail? The technician needs your cooperation if he or she is to succeed in helping you fix a garage door that goes awry. When the technician knows you and your situation better, they will be able to do more for you when it comes time to make repairs. The extra knowledge will also fix things once and for all, so you don’t have to address the issue again. Here’s what to do:
- Fill them in – Tell them everything that’s happened. Don’t leave out details due to embarrassment or ego, since it will only hinder the repair process later. Don’t be afraid to admit any mistakes you have made trying to repair the door yourself, or any practices that may have led up to the malfunction.
- Take their advice – If they tell you to adopt or abandon a certain practice, please listen! They aren’t telling you how to live your life, but they know the good and bad habits that can make or break your garage door. At the end of the day, they know that their advice will make your life easier as well, and eliminate the need to keep on making repairs. Also, don’t hesitate to ask questions. A technician may reveal things to you that you’ve never considered before.
From the sections above, you can see that there’s a clear advantage to hiring professionals for a garage door repair job. But it’s important that you put things in perspective. While professional help has its importance in the field of garage repair, you can still give DIY jobs credit for their effectiveness. In fact, there are some instances where your own hands-on effort is the better choice.
- You’ve Done it Before – Yes, this might seem like an oxymoron in context with this article. However, let’s say you’ve helped someone else with this same problem, or it’s an inevitable problem that occurs due to the seasons, then you should be in the clear for a DIY attempt.
- It’s Just that Easy – Let’s face it. Some fixes are as easy as putting a band-aid over a cut. If you know for sure that you can resolve a problem with your garage door on your own, then by all means, go ahead and fix it!
With these points in mind, you should be able to discern when your hands are not the best for the job. When you face certain conditions that pose a risk to your safety or could result in further damage, place your trust in professionals who understand the risks and know how to work through them.
Rely on Professionals if Your Garage Door:
Weighs more than 500 pounds
Contains very complex circuitry
Poses an immediate risk of injury
Requires extensive repair or even replacement
Suffers from a malfunction that you can’t track
Seek Professional Help and You Shall be Set Free
Once again, the purpose of this article is not to dispute your handyman (or handywoman) skills. However, the purpose is to serve as a reminder that some repair jobs should remain in the hands of professionals. So if you need to a fix a garage door that is stubborn and uncooperative, don’t hesitate to call a technician who has both the experience and tools to resolve the issue. Their services will help you finish the job much faster, and they can take the load off your back. In addition, enlisting a professional technician can keep you safe, since the risks of garage door repairs can be high if you are not familiar with them. Apply these tips and pointers the next time your garage door issues resurface and you’ll surely break free from the cycle of failed repairs!
For more information on garage door repairs, visit the McKee Horrigan website.